Friday, September 13, 2013

Soaking up the Gratitude~

Again, I am soon to further my education of health and wellness.  I have an associates degree in healthcare administration; an area that I was warmly interested in for several years.  What interested me most about the potential of the career were the people.  After experiencing the world with grown-up eyes and tastebuds I have realized I am not so much interested in the institution of health as I am the embodiment of it.  So, because people are still what interest me most, I intend to become a fully certified, accredited and employable Health and Wellness Coach.

When we first married, my husband and I negotiated our relationship responsibilities and expectations of each other.  I was eager to be the home-maker, navy spouse and he was proud to be the provider.  Raising the children has been very rewarding for the past 13 years, but now, with our youngest reaching 3rd grade and a babysitter, ehr, I mean 12 year old in the house, my job is far less consuming than it used to be.  The chores are theirs, the responsibilities are divided, and a renegotiation of terms is taking place.  I am a mother.  I am a wife.  I lovingly and admirably enjoy my family and the life that surrounds my home.  But here, in these five paragraphs, I feel most passionate about my abilities and what I have to offer to the world.  I have found my purpose!

Looking at my history, my resume, I have always offered advice, care or guidance.  At one time I was a waitress, a job both of my daughters are eager to perform.  Soon after I hung up my apron I donned scrubs at a nursing home to either enhance activities of daily living or deliver seemingly necessary medication.  I have been a really good mother, I feel, nurturing strengths and recognizing weaknesses.  My responsibilities as a Navy spouse have been and continue to be accomplished with consideration and grace, if I do say so myself.  I have accepted my mistakes along the way and have learned from them (i.e, do not spank with wooden spoons, check the oven before turning it on every time, and make sure you know who is awake before embarking on an adult conversation).  It is in my nature to care for others, to offer help, to encourage, to assist, to solve the problems of the universe, to love.  I intend to utilize my past experience, my current abilities and my future education to help others claim their own health and be well~

Looking to my future, I feel I will be a more balanced portion of my focus, as I probably should have been all along.  To quote a metaphor from The Road Less Traveled, by M. Scott Peck, M.D., "If one wants to climb mountains one must have a good base camp, a place where there are shelters and provisions, where one may receive nurture and rest before one ventures fourth again to seek another summit."  I have spent much time tending to my base camp while others have departed for summits, conquered them and returned.  I need to trust that it is stocked, ready and stable once more, for it is now time for my own venture, my own mountain!

You, dear readers, have empowered me.  You have asked my advice and read my work with acceptance and with interest.  Thank you for trusting my education and suggestions and returning to devour more food for thought each and every time I offer it.  While you soak up my gratitude, find a real, delicious food, pair it with plenty of water, and, if need be, give your vitamins their vitamins.  But before you do, remember to wash your hands!  I will see you here Monday~

Anna~


No comments:

Post a Comment