Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Am I there yet?

So I've been running.  To the gym at least twice a week (to start) and an active record of how long and how far my runs take me.  Running to some may be a definitive lifestyle; for me its more like an effort toward a goal - that is it.

I am learning that not only do I dislike running, I dislike really hard work.  When I approach labored breathing, I give up; when I start to sweat, I slow down; when I feel the pain in the back of my legs, I walk.  I am successfully stocking the fridge with great, clean, delicious foods, but when it comes to stepping up to a run, I'm a flop.

My husband and kids run.  My husband runs about a nine minute mile, eight if he pushes it which he is competitively able to do; my son ran cross country last fall and achieved an eight minute mile as well.  I ran with Kendra last week and my three miles came in at about 45 minutes and she was easily 15 minutes ahead of me (she claims it was because she had to use the bathroom).  Our youngest hasn't attempted a measurable run yet, but when Scott is down pounding out Insanity, she is willing and able to keep up.  I remember a time when I would lace up and follow the seams where the runway held off the grass but that time has faded like the numbers on a jersey worn long ago.

I have seen a small gain in distance over my last three half hour attempts;  instead of 2 miles/30 minutes I am running 2.15.  It will take me about 30 trips to the gym to reach to my 3 mile goal, but it's a goal none the less.  The benefits of lumbering on a tread mill are more than a tenth of a mile gain, however.  Stronger heart, healthier lungs, cleaner digestive system, crisper nervous and limbic system, better hormonal balance, sexier legs, and trimmer middle are just the beginning!  To think a 15 minute mile could deliver so many rewards...

For now, I encourage all of you to set a goal toward health.  Clean out your pantry, stock your fridge, and enjoy real, whole, nourishing food.  Drink plenty of water so that your food can be absorbed.  Take vitamins to supplement for the few you've missed.  Take a walk.  Log a run.  Laugh with your sisters.  And, as always, remember to wash your hands...

Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment