Friday, March 15, 2013

So I Should Just Eat Salad, Right?

This investigation is causing me to take stock in things I previously ignored.  I am asking questions about the amount of butter I put in my oatmeal, about the amount of steak I put on the plate, about the conditioner I am using on my head.  Several months ago I believed more in a calorie earned, calorie spent lifestyle supported by good food diet, but I am still just learning what good food is.  If toxins are in labels and arsenic is in rice and potatoes are a simple carbohydrate, is my diet reduced to salads?  

Plant based foods grown without chemical assistance are  good foods for my body.  Lean chicken, deep ocean fish, pork and red meat beef up protein intake and provide fatty acids, calcium, zinc, iron, and other great nutrients, but can tax our digestive system.  Water is needed with all foods we eat in order to break it down to absorbable form.  Vitamins are needed not only to support cell walls, but organ tissues, bones, lung function, skin, hormones: everything functioning within our 10 body systems.  Water, vitamins, minerals, and protein are found in plant based foods and lean meats...  When I combine several fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, seeds and grains I get a Salad~

My sister has been eating salads for dinner lately.  Sometimes I wonder if she is bored with this option~  Many of us think of salads as lettuce, tomato, onion, dressing and peppers; if I ate that daily I too would get "saladed out!"  Salads can be a beautiful addition to or substitution for meals while being delicious, different, and imaginative.  I'm not suggesting that health is synonymous with salad, but I am suggesting whole foods as a means to good health; salads use whole, fresh, raw foods and that, dear reader, is healthy!  Tonight, broil a small, lean steak or a great fillet of fish and serve with...

Black Bean Salad

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, and drained (or 1 1/2 cup of freshly cooked black beans)
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh corn, parboiled, drained and cooled)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions or shallots
  • 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, or 1 whole pickled jalapeño pepper, minced (not seeded)
  • 3 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
  •  Juice of one lime
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

How:

In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, onions, jalapeno chile peppers, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, basil, lime juice and olive oil. Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. (The sugar will help balance the acidity from the tomatoes and lime juice.) Chill before serving. Yield: Serves 6 to 8. (Recipe by Elise Bauer.)
There is a calorie earned, calorie spent component, though...  So, after you drink a large glass of water with lemon, dine on real food, add a vitamin and wash your hands, take a walk with your family...  you will feel the goodness of the food!

Anna~

No comments:

Post a Comment