Friday, April 26, 2013

On the Agenda~

Cadence plays the piano.  She started a few months ago and has soared in lessons.  Her instructor has instilled pride and joy into Cadence's fingers; as they move across the keys song is what we hear.  She isn't just playing the music as it is written on the page.  She brings the music out of the instrument, off of the staff, to life from within herself.  Watching her makes us feel proud for and of her.  This weekend she will be able to play on her own piano, given to us from dear friends, here, for all of us to absorb and live by.

I come from a long family line of unrecognized musicians.  My late grandmother was a pianist from a very young age and graced many with her music - I never met her.  My brother, many cousins and extended relatives are guitar artists and many of us use our voices as instruments.  My late cousin Cameron made a living on the side as a musician singing and playing on albums, on radio shows, on coffee-shop stages, but the living wasn't about the money, it was about the music.  The joy or sorrow, the pain or laughter, the love or anger that music evokes is individual, indeed, but music is a universal language that can bring one comfort or a crowd to chorus.  Profound.

Monday, my own lessons start.  I am not a savant when it comes to an instrument, unlike many of my family members. I cannot just sit down at the piano and play; I cannot just pick up a guitar and strum; I cannot just rosin up a bow and bring music forth.  I, at one time, could easily harmonize with another in song, but that talent has collected dust.  Over the next 8 weeks I will hopefully pick up a new foundation to play with and the dust may be swept off my vocal chords as well.  Who knows, Cadence and I may be hosting Open Mike Night in our living room before the summer is out~

Before the piano rolls in and the guitar is tuned, a 5K will be pounded out by all five of us RI Burrills.  Scott is well rehearsed with the organized run, as Sean is, but we three girls are new at the event.  We also have dinner planned with friends, a baby shower to attend, a lawn to mow, and thirteen other 'must-do's' to finish before the new week plays out.  It would be easy to talk myself out of participating in the 5K to save time and knee pain, but then I would miss the experience of crossing the finish line with the rest of them.  I am my biggest challenger and I am my biggest challenge.

Before the day moves any further into the sky I should go eat breakfast.  You all know what I am going to say next...

Anna~

No comments:

Post a Comment