Monday, March 10, 2014

Oil Pulling, Yoga, and Practice!

So, I am trying it right now.  I measured two teaspoons of organic expeller pressed olive oil, warmed it over a candle to liquify the mass and I pulled it into my mouth.  During the duration of this post I will swish the contents to remove plaque, trap toxins and pull puss from my gums; then into the trash it will go.  Oil Pulling.

I see multiple home remedies for numerous things consistently throughout the day.  Herbs for pain, remedies for indigestion, salts for inflammation, spices for memory, cures for the common cold.  I am a believer in all of them to a great extent, but they are only effective if one actually tries the remedies.  Can cinnamon increase blood circulation?  Only when eaten or rubbed into the skin.  Can lemon and honey calm a cough and ease a sore throat?  Only if taken often and in addition to rest.  Can oil pulling really improve oral health?  Only if practiced routinely.

Many times I hear myself offering advice to others, advice even I don't religiously follow, and I hear in retort, "I tried that once and it didn't work."  That same reason is true for all things.  I tried playing the guitar once and I was terrible at it, so I practiced until I became comfortable with the guitar.  Trying anything once delivers a clumsy, unimpressive result.  Practicing a remedy, a talent, a trade, an instrument, or oil pulling until results over time can be measured is the only decisive way to see if any one thing actually works or falls short of its claim.

Last November and December I was practicing yoga 3 or 4 times a week.  I would get up early, enjoy a quite hour of stretching and coffee before the house awoke, and get my yoga on.  I felt great the rest of the day.  My posture was improving, my sleep was sound, joy was more present throughout the day.  Even my back and neck were nearly pain free.  Then January delivered a puppy and much skiing, February delivered puppy training, less sleep, and snow, and now its March; yoga has been absent for nearly two months.  It is time I return to a practice that revealed more space, better posture, and louder joy.  Hopefully, with practice, the oil pulling will reveal whiter teeth.

My time is up.  Before I go spit in the trash and rinse with warm water, I will leave you with this:  You, dear reader, are worth the practice.  If you are wondering if any one thing really works, practice it every day~  the results will amaze you!  Start with real food.  Add plenty of clean water.  Give your vitamins their vitamins.  And, because there are germs everywhere, remember to wash your hands.  In the words of Henry ford, if you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing, you're right!

Anna~

No comments:

Post a Comment