Sunday, March 30, 2014

Procrastination; Development and Definition

The rain here has been intense and has now just ended after 36 hours of showers.  Dreary weather has caused a boredom to settle into our home; one the dogs are acting out against, we have become sleepy by, and the kids have embraced for love of the television.  The wind has picked up, as it typically does as the last of the storm sweeps through, and the clouds are becoming thin strings of white backed with blue.  It feels as though my race is moments away, the blocks are set, my sneakers are laced, and I am waiting for the line judge to call me to it.  There's the buzzer!

Never mind.  It was just the dryer.  Three kids, two of which are sick, the last of whom is athletic like his Dad, created mounds of laundry throughout the week.  My in-laws just visited which caused me to change the linens, an act much over due, so adding to the pile beside the washing machine.  The All is almost out, so I have been selectively sorting clothes and kitchen linens to dis-infect; efficiency is important but I'd rather clean underwear populate our drawers instead of laundered linens occupy the shelves.

I have this crazy housekeeping method that is effective, efficient, and employs the entire family body.  Vacuum and wash floors on Monday; dust and declutter on Tuesday; vacuum and bathrooms on Wednesday; laundry and linens on Thursday; vacuum, fridge and garbage on Friday; yard work and garage on the weekends.  Daily chores consist of picking up all the things that are down, poop removal, dishwasher, rooms, reading, and revealing the stairs.  Two or three easy things a day to accomplish with grace and discipline.

In a perfect week I actually follow my list, but often times I write instead of wash, read instead of arrange, and play instead of purge.  When procrastination occurs, every chore gets smashed into one or two days, or ignored altogether (like the linens), and then embarrassment sets in (especially when the in-laws come to visit).  Procrastination by definition is the delaying or postponing of an assignment or action; the stress procrastination creates is much larger than a simple definition.

I do not know how to eliminate procrastination from any one's diet, dear reader, for I subscribe to it from time to time as well.  There are tips we can all use and follow that can prevent procrastination from creeping in and taking control.  While you reflect on where you allow procrastination to control your life, and the consequences that come from it, grab a bowl of real food, a tall glass of water and some vitamins for your vitamins.  Let's get ready to begin washing our hands of procrastination... Tomorrow.

Anna~


No comments:

Post a Comment