Monday, March 3, 2014

There is Always a But!

Spring; to originate or arise from - or  - to move or jump suddenly or rapidly upward or forward.  The anticipation of Spring is all but overcoming me.  I find myself looking for green evidence, measuring the length of the day, and giving myself permission to calm down.  This may be my most transformative season yet and I welcome it with sneakers tied and a smile upon my face; my hope is for a clam, smooth transition into the forward movement of Spring.

The phrase 'forward movement' has been ringing in my ears for weeks now.  Our pantry remains scantily stocked as our refrigerator becomes increasingly full of fresh food and clean water.  We have signed our names on lists of willing runners committing to push three miles of pavement away from our feet.  We are setting loftier goals for the summer and fall, both individual desires and family commitments.  We have all decided, in our own separate ways, to move forward from the places we were and to achieve the places we admire.

Forward movement has also given a name to my health coaching practice; Nutritional Cadence.  Health is not a one dimensional, unilateral, universal state or application. Health is a balance of movement, communication, food, love, joy, work, water, nutrition, education, and spirit.  The human body cannot make what it cannot make; also true, it cannot become something more or less without a constant effort toward growth.  But (and there is always a but), just as the seasons move and change rhythmically, so too should self care, growth, nourishment and movement ~ Nutritional Cadence (Thanks to Sue Plunkett for the conversation.)

There are many disrupters of forward movement.  Fear.  Comparison.  Career.  Failure.  Habit.  Choice.  Knowledge.  Location.  Money.  Life.  This last two weeks I have been intent on encouraging those around me (and myself) to commit to small changes with goals in mind for the ownership of forward movement.  I believe it is better to be afraid and moving forward than afraid while standing still.  Because you are in control of everything you eat, everything you say and everything you know, you are in control of everything you want.

This week, I encourage you all to plan.  Shop mindfully.  Eat real food.  Commit.  Drink plenty of water.  Laugh.  Cook.  Think.   Wash your hands of 'this is the way I've always done it' and ask yourself, "Does this help me achieve my goal?  or Not?"  That, dear reader, is forward movement.

Spring!

Anna~

No comments:

Post a Comment