Wednesday, June 11, 2014

I Love Hippocrates!

So I've been experimenting with a fast.  You know, the kind where you go for several hours without eating and the foods that are eaten are very specific in their nutritional value?  This is not a religious endeavor, or even a weight loss endeavor, but instead a process by which to reboot.  Its been working really, really well.

I love elimination diets.  I believe whole heartedly in giving the body chance to heal, by itself, with support of good food and whole nutrition.  Elimination diets serve that purpose to a T.  By taking away five major food categories, the body can begin to stop reacting to the fuel and experience relief and nourishment (eggs, wheat, soy, dairy and sugar, if you must know).  For the past few days I have made disciplined efforts to remove a few, not all five, of those food groups in order to experiment with how my body feels without them.

Fasting, along with eliminating large groups of food, allows the body to do several innate things.  Stored fuel is utilized, the metabolism speeds up then slows to a crawl to conserve energy.  Hormones are triggered that might otherwise be dormant and other hormones are given a reprieve, namely insulin.  Fat is used and with that toxins are released, then processed by the body (not necessarily a good thing).  Awareness becomes keen.

I have chosen to eat veggies, whole fruits and brown rice during my fast.  I have chosen to eat egg whites for breakfast, early, and then fast until 6 for dinner when said veggies and rice are consumed.  I have enjoyed water, tea, coffee and vitamins, along with a probiotic to support my body while the toxin release takes place.  Though I've been a bit crabby, I have enjoyed the quick results of giving my body a break.

It isn't a miracle when our bodies heal by way of food, water and vitamins; it is our inheritance.  Hippocrates said, "If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health."  I know that I, often times, have too much food and not enough exercise.  By way of real food, plenty of water, vitamins for my vitamins and sneakers, I intend to find my safest way to health.  Will you join me?

Anna~

Visit www.nutritionalcadence.com to schedule a consultation with me about elimination diets and what one might do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment